Friday, November 16, 2007

Mini Jan-trum

Will Christians please stop jumping up and down and beating their breasts over The Golden Compass?

For Pete's freaking sake. It's a freaking book. Yes, it deals with the destruction of the Church in a mythical world.

If you don't like it, don't read it, don't let your kids read it.

How many millions of book have pro-Christian themes? Do you see non-theists getting all righteously indignant and having apoplectic fits about it?

No.

I didn't want my child exposed to the often hateful and intolerant views and teachings of fundamentalist Baptists, but plenty of them sure felt completely comfortable over-riding my parental authority. Did I complain to the media? Did I demand the that state/federal government ban things associated with that religion? Did I demand the the school only stock non-theist books?

No. I sat down with my child and taught him. I taught him what I thought, I taught him what you thought, I taught him what they thought. Because how can he know what he thinks unless he has all the information?

Do you really think that the handful of non-theists in this country are a threat to you and your children? That we might actually remove religion from the fabric of American life?

Hardly.

I'd be more concerned with the violent movies like the Saw series, which glamorize violence and torture for the sake of violence and torture, than a fantasy movie about a fantasy world.

I'd be more concerned about television shows that are supposed to be for teens that depict casual sexual relationships with no or easily solved in twenty minutes consequences.


Thor sez: Why can't you humans just get along?

3 comments:

jaz said...

The point always missed by HDM critics - it would help if they actually read the books they are protesting - is that the church portrayed in Pullman's fantasy world is a deeply corrupt institution far more interested in exerting worldly power / political influence than in assisting anyone's spiritual progress.

As we all know, there are no examples whatsoever of that in the real world.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, again, how much I enjoy your blog.....OK, its all about the CAT PICS!!! When I'm tired and discouraged at home or, yes...at work, I check out certain sites that give me that "Ahhhh....." feeling. My list is: Cute Overload, Daily Puppy, Daily Kitten AND Kittens on the Keyboard.

So, just in case you ever think about quiting, remember there is at least one person out here who is highly dependent on you and your cats (oh, and your lil GP, too!). So, you can't ever quit. No pressure. Just sayin'.

JanetLee said...

Rosemary - thanks! That means a lot to me! What about I Can Has Cheezburger? That is my secret at-work pick me up!