Saturday, December 02, 2006

Strangers to ourselves?

There is a line (or two) in KT Tunstall’s song Miniature Disaster that has me replaying it again and again, in awe of its simplicity.

“Coz it’s a hindrance to my health,
if I’m a stranger to myself”

It is a profound truth dressed way down.

At some point in life, one must turn away from the world. Away from parents, lovers, friends and the distractions and diversions of this modern world and look inward for the answers we have sought in the greater world.

Perhaps this is why so many women (myself included) have found their forties to be the best times of their lives. Perhaps because by then we have come to know ourselves, what we want and what we need. We’ve grown the confidence to unapologetically seek out what will make us whole and happy.

We are no longer strangers to ourselves.


Thor sez: Enough about you silly humans! Adore me! Now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It's acceptance too of what we actually are - acceptance that isn't distorted through some kind of lens or another.

ps Great Skirt spread! Very, very nice. Just picked one up yesterday and there you were!

JanetLee said...

Thanks, Pam. It was a hoot!