Thursday, December 21, 2006

Looking for the next big thing.

I have a great deal of respect for JK Rowlings and found this to be amusing.

I find it amusing because I know what she means. When writing, particularly an emotional harrowing scene, I get that same mix of elation and overwrought emotions. But I don't think I've ever dreamed about my characters during writing.

(I have, after a hectic shift, woken up in a panic, worried that I couldn't watch the babies if I was in my bed sleeping.)

Her series is a perhaps once in a generation success story. All over the world, there are writers who are trying to figure out what could be the "next" Harry Potter. I'm pretty sure it isn't something you can plan.

Here is a semi-secret: literature for young adults/older children is some of the best story-telling you'll find. To hold the attention of children, it better be good.

That's why Harry Potter has crossed all generation lines. It is just darned good story telling. This also holds true for the Narnia Chronicles. And for the lesser known, but better, in my humble opinion, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series, with three books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spylass. (Warning: if you found Harry Potter objectionable due to religious beliefs, don't read Pullman.)

So if you are bored with your reading materials and looking for something new, head over to the childrens section and look at what they have. It's way better than when I was a kid, when there was practically nothing for ages 12-18.



Sutu sez: I prefer Russian Literature myself, thank you very much. I get to wear my fur hat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Materials series. I recently read another YA book where the main character was playing Lyra in a play.

I often read YA when I'm just looking to be lost in a story.

jaz said...

YA lit can be amazing. I adore Philip Pullman and Jane Yolen, too.

Unlike far too much adult literature these days, it doesn't beat you over the head trying to be "profound" and "important."