Monday, January 21, 2008

Marching to My Own Little Beat

I have been, as some dear readers already know, having trouble the last month or so. Shortness of breath with ordinary activities. I know I'm old and fat and out of shape, but one should not have to rest after showering so that one may towel off without hyperventilating.

My dear doctor found my symptoms puzzling, not readily indicating one thing or another, but with my history of smoking (quit five years ago after smoking for...let's just say many years, shall we) and reactive airway disease (a cousin to asthma) added together with some vicious seasonal allergies, we decided on a new allergy medication to see what that would do.

And it made my allergy symptoms much better, but alas, did nothing for my breathing. So today I went back with my diary of symptoms that I've been keeping since the last appointment and my doc decided to start with a cardiology consult. But first, she did a baseline EKG there in her office.

Which showed I have a funny little short in my electrical system, a "pre-excitation of the ventricles". Of course, this is the first EKG I've ever had, so this might not be anything new or even the cause of my symptoms, but it is a place to start. So next week, I have to drive over the Ravenel Bridge (which is sure to upset my cardio-vascular system) to get wired up and do the treadmill thing.

Such fun. My doctor did say my funny beat was similar to WPW syndrome, which I immediately Googled once I got home - something I do not recommend that people do because the internet is a good way to scare the pants off yourself. But Marilyn Manson and MeatLoaf both have this syndrome. Lucky me, huh? MeatLoaf and Marilyn Manson.

Told you I was a freak.

Thor sez: Paradise by the dashboard lights!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they don't do anything to "disconect" you sense of humor!!
Seriously...I really enjoy your site and you will be in my prayers. Pam, South Bend

JanetLee said...

Thanks Pam! I won't worry until there is something to worry about.

Pat said...

Something like that runs in my family too. It could be worse! And yet - the SOB thing doesn't sound like much fun. Take it easy, would you?

Marcheline said...

If you start sweating profusely and are suddenly overcome with the irresistible urge to wear one blue contact lens, at least you'll know who to thank.