Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dazed and Confused

Not the Led Zep song, although I was listening to that on my way to gas up the Cruiser. It seemed appropriate for the pump shock.

And I wouldn't have been driving at all except for a critical shortage of cat food (human food also, but it is more dangerous to be out of cat food).

Sometime Monday, I aggravated an old back injury -assisting with a stretcher to bed transfer of an obese patient (before I worked in the nursery, of course) and the patient "thought it would be funny" to let go of the overhead bar and leave me hanging on to almost 300 pounds on a sheet.

Can you say torn muscle? I thought you could.

It flares up from time to time just to remind me I'm not 20 anymore. That a couple of ibuprofen and a little ice is no longer a sure fire cure for what ails me.

I soldiered on as best I could, but by Wednesday morning, the pain was so bad I had to hit the muscle relaxer stash. Drugs, ice, heat, rest. Twenty four hours later and I can actually sit in a chair for more than five minutes. Still not doing too well on the standing in place yet, but I can walk.

Not an auspicious start to the new year.

Loki sez: This is my mom on Flexoril.

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

Feel better soon, girl. I hear you on back/neck pain. Ain't nothin' like it in the world. Let your cats be your heating pads, if they're willing - nothing like a warm cat sitting in just the right place to loosen up those muscles.

- M