Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sucker!

That's me. A sucker. A soft touch. Able to be swayed over by the tender gaze of mint green eyes and a sweet meow.



See, it started out innocently enough. A strange cat lurking in my yard, a little skittish, a little friendly. I had to investigate. She lives two doors down and her owners let her run the streets at all hours of the day and night. But they seem to take good care of her because she has no fleas and is (as this picture shows) a healthy chunk o' kitten.

But then she started hanging out here more and more. And I began to wonder as she seemed to be trying more innovative ways to catch birds, like crawling up under the pine straw. It's pretty hard to sneak up on a bird when you are blindingly white. I worried maybe she was hungry. Poor little thing. And here I was with an entire four pound bag of dry cat food that my spoiled brats turned their noses up at.

So I gave her a little.

And now, every afternoon around five, five-thirty, she sits on the sidewalk, staring plaintively at the door. When I open it, she runs up the stairs, hisses at Thor, and retreats to the sidewalk to await her evening snack.

She's very appreciative and gives me lots of kitten head rubs and purrs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks sweet.

Anonymous said...

She is pretty. I wonder if maybe her owners were trying to place her on a diet.

JanetLee said...

Pam, she is very sweet.

Heather, could be, but she isn't as fat as she looks in that picture. Not nearly, it was just the way she was sitting. She's not fat, just not skinny or emaciated looking.

Uncle Zoloft said...

It looks like you have a new friend. She is beautiful. Perhaps her hissing at Thor is a love hiss?

Marcheline said...

She's a beauty! Can she hear? I had an all-white cat, and found out he was stone deaf. Vet said a high percentage of all-white cats are deaf. Learn something new every day!

- M

JanetLee said...

Uncle Z - the hiss is sort of half-hearted, an "I don't know you, so stay back" hiss.

M - She can hear. I'd heard the same thing about white cats, except that it was white cats with blue eyes that were usually deaf. But she can hear. One evening she was lounging in the driveway, under the truck, and came running after I flipped the deadbolt on the front door. She can hear just fine! :)~

Anonymous said...

An Easter Cat! The body looks like a fluffy bunny.

Uncle Zoloft said...

I'm with Joan! She looks like the Easter Kitty - who ate the Easter Bunny.