Sunday, April 08, 2007

Blogswarm

I was going to participate in the Blogswarm on the topic of separation of church and state, but twelve hour night shifts do little to enhance my writing and reasoning skills. Besides, Jason and Xark have said all I believe in far, far better words than I ever could muster, on or off the night shifts.

But I do have a few things I'd like to say.

Nonreligious types: please stop making a fuss over things like "in God we trust" on U.S. currency and the "one nation, under God" part of the Pledge of Allegiance (just don't say that part when reciting the pledge). Stop making a fuss over Nativity scenes in front of fire stations and city halls at Christmas. We live in a predominately Christian nation and there are going to be representations of that all the time.

Let's save our objections for the laws that are being passed that use religion to restrict the rights of American citizens.

Religious types: Stop complaining about prayer in school. No-one has "kicked God out of the schools". You and your child are free to pray at any time during school, on school property, your child can bring his/her Bible and read it, they can participate in group prayers and religious clubs. Really they can and you know it. What they can not do is make my child participate if he/she does not want to. Stop saying we want to ban the Bible. It is not right and you know it, it is just something you say to try to stifle conversation by creating an enemy.

That's all.

Oh, wait. No, I am not "mad" at God. Nothing "happened" to "turn me away from God". No, I am not "afraid of going to hell". And no, I don't think I should believe "just in case".

Thank you for asking.


Thor sez: I believe in butterflies.

2 comments:

Marcheline said...

Someone bought that same toy for our cats. They sat there and looked from it to us, yawned, and walked away.

Now get out a laser pointer, and it's a whole different ball of wax!

- M

JanetLee said...

M- yeah, mine aren't too impressed with it either. I think it makes too much noise.