Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cry Me a River

Seldom do my conservative tendencies come raging to the forefront than when greeted, pre-coffee, with headlines such as this:

Executed in U.S. may be awake as they suffocate.

Excuse my profanity, but who the fuck cares?

I'm pretty sure their victims were awake while they were raped and strangled or shot or stabbed or suffocated.

I'm pretty sure their victims didn't get a virtually painless death.

These criminals are being put to death for a reason: they have been proven (we hope) to be unfit to live in a civil society because they willfully took the life of another.

Their victims were put to death because someone chose to do so.

I don't really care if they feel some discomfort or pain.

Now, with that out of the way, my liberal self comes out. I think we execute too many people in this country. I think the death penalty should be reserved for the most heinous of crimes. Rape/murder of children or women. Serial murder (like the DC snipers). Mass murderers (like the school shooters).

Deep breath. Kitten picture makes it better:

No comments: