Monday, April 23, 2007

Mother Earth

We finally planted a fig tree in the back yard. It is near the loquat tree, so it'll be like a little produce market for the creatures of the yard. There are a few more creature feeding trees/shrubs I'd like to plant back there. Blueberry. I haven't decided on much else.

Yesterday, I spent an almost embarrassing amount of time watching The Planet Earth series on Discovery Channel. I could hardly drag myself away, it was so beautifully photographed. This blue ball is pretty spectacular.

Friday, I watched an episode of Oprah, something I rarely do because she tends to annoy me. Don't get me wrong, I have a huge amount of respect for what she has done for herself and her commitment to giving back to the world. She is an amazing human being. But her show annoys me.

I digress.

Her show on Friday was about living green. It had all sorts of helpful hints and stuff about reducing your energy use within your home. Pretty interesting.

Here's the thing. Even taking into consideration the nature of the shows I watched, I noticed a disproportionate number of "green" commercials. Companies touting their green products or green production methods.

Every other item on my grocery store shelf is now labeled "organic". Last night at work, I came across a little poster from one of our formula reps that was giving us the 4-1-1 on their new "organic formula".

And I'm a little conflicted about all this.

Because I don't care if you subscribe to the Judeo-Christian religions and believe that God made this planet and gave humans dominion over it or if you lean towards the pagan viewpoint of Earth as Mother, a living being in Her own right, or if you are an atheist who just believes that this is all we got and we better not mess it up.

Let's just not turn saving the planet into the latest fad to sweep across America like no-carb diets and Pet Rocks.

Whatever 'side' you are on in the global warming debate, I think we can all agree that there are a lot of people on this rock and we need to start getting serious about our stewardship. So I'm very excited about the new technology and education that is going on. I've always believed that private industry would lead the way, not government.

But I really hope we are beginning new habits and not just jumping on some fad that will pass in a year or so.


Loki sez: Look at me! I'm America taking its head of of the sand!

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

I'm using my new freebie "io" cable recording function overtime to record the Planet Earth series...

IT'S AMAZING!!!!

- M