Thursday, December 01, 2005

I have almost finished my Christmas shopping. All that remains is the on-line search for a particular item for my son and the decision as to what store will provide the slew of gift cards I hand out to my legions of neices and my lone grown up newphew. Little baby surprise nephew is in to super heros, I may just steal something from Jason and wrap it up.

The only challenge left is my mother. She is always the most difficult. She never likes any clothing or household item I buy her. Last year, I scored big when she actually drooled over a cape in Dillards. I was back the next day to buy it then spent the remaining weeks before Christmas worried that she would just get it for herself. She didn't. I was golden.

Usually, I get her a gift certificate. For a few years I would get her a general mall certificate until one year she told me to get her a Victoria's Secret card.

Do you have any idea of how weird it feels to be in line at Victoria's Secret to buy a gift certificate for your mom??

Once, I teased her about it, asking just who she was needing a fresh supply of sexy undies for every year.

She said, "For me."

So now I try not to forget about myself in this season. I try to do, see or buy something just for me. It doesn't have to be extravagant.

Like this year, I bought myself some yarn and a "I Taught Myself to Crochet" book. A whole bunch 'o years ago I had attempted to teach myself. I mastered the very basics and still have an afghan I made.

But it's been a fun morning with yarn. First, convincing the kittens that it wasn't a new toy for them. Then, I felt like a ten-thumbed idiot and the instructions may as well have been in ancient Greek. But slowly, as I worked my way through the initial chain, then single crochet and half double crochet, my fingers started to remember. Loop, pull, loop. Before too long I'd gotten the feel for double and triple crochet stitches. I was ready to tackle the for beginners scarf.

I accidently dropped a few stitches. I learned to add them back. It's fun. It's soothing. It's sooo winter and hot toddies and comfy chairs.

I like my present to me this year.

No comments: