Thursday, March 22, 2007

I promised myself I wasn't going to write about this. But I can't not because it infuriates me so deeply that I'm sure I will be barely coherent on the subject.

S.C. House Representatives want women to be forced to look at the ultrasounds done before an abortion. The ultrasounds are done to determine the age of the fetus, this is not a new part of the legislation.

What infuriates me is this: This was not done out of any concern about the fetus, I know they say it is, but it isn't. It was done as a petulant, vindictive strike against women because they (anti-abortionists) can't get their way about having Roe V. Wade overturned.

Here is what I'd like to propose: I propose that every member of the SC House who voted for this nanny-nanny-boo-boo bit of discrimination be forced to look at pictures of fetuses that died as the result of placental abruptions due to the mother smoking crack or due to the fathers beating the mothers. Or look at the pictures of dead babies with massive brain bleeds from being shaken. Or the ones who are beaten to death by their parents. Look at those dead babies. Look at the babies who are starved, burned, beaten.

Look at them. They exist in greater numbers than you think. Talk to a neonatal ICU nurse or a pediatric ICU doc, there are hundreds and hundreds of these youngest victims.

And look at these dead babies until you start passing legislation increasing the number of drug rehabs so people who want to get off drugs don't have to wait months and months for a bed in rehab. Increase funding so that we can have shelters for abused women and their children. Increase funding so we can actually hire more social workers so they aren't "watching" over hundreds of children per worker. Increase funding for social programs that will identify and help at risk parents and children and teach parenting skills. Start teaching real sex education, not "just say no". Teach girls how to say no, teach them what to do if they don't want to say no.

Then come tell me you are looking out for the welfare of South Carolina's children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It infuriates me too.

Anonymous said...

We don't often agree, but I think you are on the right side this time.

imabug said...

hear hear!

Pat said...

Very eloquent post. Did you vote in The State's poll? Pam's got a link to it on her blog.

Alison Piepmeier said...

Yep. I'm with you completely. The fact that the states that have the most restrictions on abortion also provide the least support for poor women and children continues to be appalling to me.