Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Humming Right Along

A few weeks ago, I put up a hummingbird feeder. I had seen a hummingbird cruise through the front yard to check out the crepe myrtle blossoms. I hung it up, filled it with pre-mixed "nectar" and waited. Never saw a thing.

Then I spotted Patrick's amazing photographs on the Lowcountry Blogroll. So I asked him how he got such action at his feeder. He gave me a home made nectar recipe.

Literally, really, Jason was here and witnessed this, within 10 minutes of putting up the new nectar, I had a hummingbird at the feeder.


(Now all I need is a camera like Patrick's!)

In other feathery news, I counted 22 house sparrows having a party on the lawn, in the drive way, in the jacuzzi - I mean birdbath - yesterday.


We have a trio of tufted tit mouses (tit mice?) that show up pretty regularly, one of them has chewed off tail feathers. I've named him Stumpy. Perhaps it should be Lucky.

Loki's favorite continues to be the Carolina Chickadees and he meerphs every time one comes near.


My favorites are the Carolina Wrens and I've put up a wren house hoping they might use it next spring.

We've had a new visitor, a Downy Woodpecker, but I've not been able to grab a photo of her yet. This Red Bellied Woodpecker is a frequent guest at the swinging suet cake buffet.


And I think I've put this here before, but I simply love this photo, so here it is again.

And a rare sighting of the Two Headed Cat Bird:

3 comments:

Patrick L Archibald said...

Thanks for the kudos. It looks like you have allot going on in your yard. Happy humming, PLA.

Marcheline said...

Great bird photos!

Love those cats, love them love them love them!

- M

Anonymous said...

That cardinal photo is just wonderful - and thanks for linking to Patrick's hummingbird photographs, they're beautiful! I've never put up a hummingbird feeder, rather, I've never gotten around to it, since I have one number of them visit regularly because of the flowers - but it would be fun to place one close to a window where it is easier to watch them.

(Also read your hurricane prep post above, and yeah, I guess it's time to think about those things. I only have a manual can opener though - so it's ready!).