Friday, May 30, 2008

Stuff

Rick Bragg was just as funny, just as teddy-bear huggable, just as brilliant last night as he ever is. My mom went with us and she had never read his books nor heard him speak and it was fun to watch her fall under his spell.

I had Jason's book signed for him because he had to leave early to cover an event for Spoleto. I also bought one and had it signed for my son.

And I don't know who is in charge of publicity events at the West Ashley Books A Million, but I was embarrassed for Charleston. I happened to be walking up the sidewalk when Mr. Bragg's driver dropped him off. I greeted him at the door and we walked in together. I was looking around for a store employee to tell them to find whoever was in charge of the event, but couldn't find one. Meanwhile, Mr. Bragg was surrounded by the fairly large crowd there to see him, all asking questions. The store did not have an area set up for a reading, only one small table by the front door, as if Mr. Bragg was just supposed to sit there signing books for random people who walked by.

He is a Pulitzer Prize winner! He has a huge following. You do not leave him standing alone at the front of your store.

Finally one employee came up and just started handing out numbered tickets. Jason told him to move the table back away from the door and then he started hauling chairs out of the cafe for some of the people to sit in.

During the reading, the store employees continued to run whatever machine it is in the coffee shop that sounds like a jet engine taking off. Halfway through the reading, an employee came on the overhead to announce that Mr. Bragg was there signing books.

Whoever was in charge of this event should be ashamed of themselves. Mr. Bragg, being the person he is, took it all in stride and never said a word (except a joke about shooting the loud machine).

That's all I've got to say about that.

Other stuff:
My dishwasher is coming next Tuesday. I already bought dishwasher soap.

The raccoon stole the three raisin sized grape tomatoes also. Brat.

I'm very sad that Harvey Korman has passed away. One of the best laughs I ever had was from the expression on his face when Carol Burnett came down the stairs in the Gone With the Wind spoof, wearing a dress made from the curtains, with the curtain rod still in place.

I have a secret, but I can't tell you right now. I can tell you in a few days. I'm just afraid if I say it out loud, it won't really be true. It's a left over poor person thing: only when something is in your hand are you sure you are going to get it. And even then there is a little fear it will be taken away.

And now, some totally self indulgent stuff:
The Dinner Show.
The head butt.

The Loki stretch.

The what-is-it-crane.

The Thor double check. (Whle Loki stares at where the plate will go.)

Shows plays 7 days a week, 365 day a year, 5pm, my kitchen.

2 comments:

chucker said...

So I'm assuming the child-proof closure was put on the kitchen cabinet door because of Loki? Was he testing it?

Wow. Show me those claws and I'd serve another helping. Fast!

JanetLee said...

Chuck - the child proof locks are because of Thor. He learned how to open the cabinets and would go curl up in pots. Plus, it is all open behind the doors and he could get under the sink where cleaning supplies are kept.