Friday, May 02, 2008

Playing in the Dirt

Our back door is in the addition, what I call the back room or TV room. For at least the last year and a half, we have not used it because there was a large trunk pushed up against it. (I don't know, it just got put there and left there, okay?)

Yesterday, I went to my neighborhood Lowes and bought some Miracle grow garden soil, a bag of gravel, four planters, two types of tomato plants (regular and grape), a zucchini plant, cucumber, and cayenne pepper plants and a small flat of green beans. For the herb barrel, I purchased basil, oregano, thyme and sage. I drove home and hauled my purchases from the driveway to the backyard. I then went inside and in the kitchen I opened up the hutch thingie in there and picked up a key ring, one of the keys on this key ring belongs to the deadbolt on the back door.

The moment I picked up the key ring, Thor ran to the back door, jumped up on the trunk and began meowing.

It was a little scary that he knew/remembered that key ring and what it meant after so long.

And he positively freaked out once I moved the trunk. See, he has made his escapes from that back door, one of the reasons we weren't using it.

I must say some of the joy of the afternoon spent grubbing in rich soil, planting, and watering, the joy of the sun on my 50 SPF-protected face and shoulders, the feel of the wind in my hair, the sounds of happy birds chirping, these small pleasures were all slightly diminished by Thor's howls of fury as he scratched at the door, broken only by moments when he'd sit on the cat tree in the window and GLARE at me.

But only slightly.



And I really hope that it is a coincidence that wild bunny showed up in the yard late yesterday afternoon and not the lure of the scent of fresh plants. I think I'm going to try some of those motion detector lights that are on spikes you can push into the ground. Maybe that'll keep the raccoons and 'possums at bay.

No comments: