Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Plans, I Got Big Plans

I wandered on down to my local Lowe's today. (Is it my imagination or are there less cars on the road during mid-day?) I was looking for a hanging lamp for the front room as lighting in my house is, well, the word insufficient could be used but I prefer sucks like an Electrolux.

I did not see a hanging lamp that I liked or that would suit my front room corner. I did however, come down with my annual case of garden lust.

My plan is to try some container gardening. I know, I know, technically I'll be 'feeding the raccoons, squirrels and 'possums gardening' but with food prices rising, I figure if things get too bad we can fish and crab out of the creek, use the ten billion wild onions growing in the back yard for seasoning and I could grow some veggies.

So I got some rough figures. I've already got the huge barrel that Jason set up for an herb garden, with the rosemary bush still going strong. I figure I can put some basil, oregano, thyme and sage in there. I had a good crop last summer and was pretty successful in getting it dried for long term use.

I'm thinking for the container garden a couple of tomato plants, cukes, squash or zucchini, some peppers and some beans.

That should be enough to keep me busy. And not expensive enough for me to get too upset if the critters get more than their fair share.

The boyz say: Um, we didn't hear catnip in that list.

2 comments:

AbleDanger said...

It's not the critters I have problems with..it's all the bugs...SC has sooo many bugs...

JanetLee said...

This is true. Although I have so many birds, they tend to keep the bug population down some, when they aren't snacking on the veggies that is.