Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I've been considering Hillary Clinton recently. She has been in the news quite a bit as she "considers" 2008.

I kind of like her. I don't know. The press tells us that we either have to love her or hate her, but I'm not on either side of that fence. Maybe because I'm contrary and any time the media, whether the press or entertainment tells me I must do or not do something, I tend to do the opposite. Which explains why I never saw an original airing of a Seinfeld show.

But Hillary. Oh, how America shows it's hypocrisy with her. We (I speak of women in America) claim women's rights, we claim we want strong, independent (financially and otherwise), smart, involved women. We've complained bitterly about the blank-eyed, non-opinion having Stepford-first-wives of the past.

Then along comes Hillary and most women hate her. With a passion that I haven't seen since the high school cool kid's table wars.

Why?

Why do we hate what we've said we wanted all along?

Some men I know say they hate her because of her blatant politicking. Changing her position depending on which way the wind is blowing. Well, isn't that what politicians do? Make it seem like they are on your side, whatever it may be, so you will vote for them? Isn't that just politics? Or is it because she does it better than most male politicians that galls them?

And Bill. Poor Bill and his zipper problems. Well, how is that Hillary's defect? Oh yeah, she should have kicked the bum to the curb. D-I-V-O-R-C-E-D his ass. Except then, she wouldn't have been displaying any Christian forgiveness, any devotion and dedication to the core American value unit: the family. If she'd divoced him, most people would be saying she didn't respect the vows she made.

Besides, again. What did she do wrong in this? I could probably with very little trouble name off several male politicians who lit their candles in different candelabras and everyone just shrugs. Shame on Bill. Not Hillary. Once again, attack the woman, not the man. She should have been a better wife, I guess, is the mentality.

America. We love. We hate. We don't know what we want. We just know we don't want anyone else to have it either.

What will I do if Hillary runs? I don't know. Part of me, that feminist liberal democrat part says to vote for her regardless simply because it is time to actually begin to trust and have faith in the leadership of women, not just pay lip service to it as an ideal. But the Connecticutt Yankee gene in me says we'll just have to wait and see what the world looks like in 2008.

And the real American in me says I will keep an open mind and give her a chance. To hear what she has to say before making an opinion based on things that have nothing to do with her politics. Or maybe that's the liberal in me.


Thor sez: What's wrong with cat hair on a pillow? YOU put it up here, obviously you MEANT for me to claim it as my own personal throne. Now go away, you bore me.

No comments: