Saturday, March 29, 2008

I Don't Understand

This completely baffles me.

I understand the idea of prayer as a tool for recovery. I understand and as a true blue tree hugging just want gays to get married so I can buy them toasters for wedding presents liberal, I support any adult's right to refuse medical care and use whatever form of religious/spiritual care they desire. Go for it. It is your right as an American adult to have freedom of choice in religion.

What I don't understand is these parents. They claim that their religious view barred medical assistance. Their religious view relied on prayer to cure.

So why, then, when the poor girl finally died (and untreated diabetes and ketoacidosis is NOT a quick, nor pleasant way to go), but why then when she died, did her father attempt CPR?

That is a medical intervention.

Why would he believe that prayer was good enough to use as long as his child was only suffering horribly, but the minute she died, medical intervention was just peachy keen?

Or was it his ass he was trying to save at that point?

This is Miss Kitty:

We adopted her when my to-be-26-this-year old son was 4 years old. She was a cranky bitch of a cat. She was annoying because she always had to be on me, next to me, touching me. She didn't like anyone on the planet except me, although she would tolerate my son and not shred his skin on a whim. We had to lock her up when children came to the house.

She lived to be 17 years old. And one day when she was around 15 years old, I noticed she was emptying her water bowl every day and peeing like a race horse. So I snatched her up and took her to the vet immediately. She was diagnosed with diabetes and we began a regime of diet changes and twice a day insulin shots.

Insulin shots. Twice a day. I bought insulin, I bought syringes. I gave her a shot in the morning with breakfast and a shot in the evening with dinner. I took her to the vet once a month to test her sugar.

It makes me sick that a cat would receive more medical attention than a child. That child was given parents to love, protect and guide her.

They used God as an excuse not to do that. Then they used God as an excuse as to why they shouldn't be held accountable for failing in their parental duties.

And that is wrong. I don't care what religion you follow or none. It is wrong to let a child just lapse into a coma and die.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Unfathomable...and, at least in my book, unforgivable.