Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Protest!

I didn't go to the protest at West Ashly High School because it was still dark during the scheduled time and I sort of liked the imagery of hatred standing alone in the dark.

But, I did go to the Jewish Community Center and stood with several people to express our opinion that love is stronger than hate.

This young lady's husband is currently serving in the navy.
I loved their signs!


The young lady taking photos in currently serving in the Air Force.



There's my sign!

A college student.


A two tour Vietnam veteran and his wife, they have attended all the scheduled protests.

I am going to assume that the two young ladies who drove by and flipped us the bird were confused and not supporting the Hate Group.


Loki sez: I protest this humiliation!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love....love...love it when
you dress the boys up!!!
Pam, South Bend

Sharon said...

Once more, thank you for standing up. Wish there had been more of you. I hope there weren't many of "them".

JanetLee said...

Pam - hopefully more to come!

Sharon - "they" were protesting in a small group, three adults and a child who looked about 7 or 8. I didn't take any pictures of them because I didn't want to.

There were about 15 on our side of the protest, a mix of young, middle and older. We got a lot of thumbs up and waves from cars driving by.

The most upsetting part was when one of "them" threw an American flag on the ground and had the little boy walk on it. The use of the child upset many in the crowd.

If the adults of that group believe in what they are doing, okay fine, it is America, you have the right within legal bounds to say what you want, just as we had the legal right to say what we wanted to say. But to use a child, to so poison a child's developing mind was the most vile, evil thing about "them".

Sharon said...

That is upsetting, really. It's offensive on so many levels? (Personally, I hate seeing our flag desecrated--but I would go out and burn one myself if they ever made it illegal to do so.)

Anyway, I hope you don't mind my posting this here (but you can take it down if you do, obviously), but I wonder if you've seen this:
It's time to confront Republican leadership and force them to take responsibility for the atmosphere they've helped create. Please join me in signing ColorOfChange's petition confronting Republican leaders about hate and fear-mongering in their party, and ask your friends and family to do the same:
http://colorofchange.org/hate/?id=2408-1197011

JanetLee said...

Sharon - that is fine and I'll check it out later. I was very upset yesterday to learn of what had been happening - bullets shot through a congressman's campaign office window, a coffin left on the lawn of another lawmaker's private home, the propane line cut at the house of a brother of a congressman.

These are not the acts of Americans who simply "want to be heard". Being heard and getting your way are two different things.

It's like that old saying, "God, you didn't answer my prayer" and God says, "yes, I did, the answer was no."

If someone is killed, I will lay blame at the doorstep of Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, Olbermann and Maddox.