Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Heard the News Today

I've been reading the news and blogs about the loss of the firemen here in Charleston. It's so sad. I worry about their families and friends and coworkers. How do you begin to wrap your mind around the loss of so many at once?

I'm proud of the way the entire lowcountry has stepped up to express their condolences and to thank those who serve us. I hope our feelings of gratitude will be remembered next time the fire chief approaches, hat in hand, to ask for salary increases.

And Tommy, Tommy, Tommy! Tommy Ravenel, you bad bad boy you! What family value endorses (allegedly) shoving cocaine up your nose? For shame.

And this from Charleston.net: Katon Dawson, chairman of the state Republican Party, called Sanford's suspension of Ravenel "proper," but said this was not a public corruption case.

"To me, it looks like a private issue and a legal matter for a public official," Dawson said.


I'm sorry, but a(n alleged) coke-head with access to my tax dollars is not a private issue.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any "Paris Hilton" effect. In other words, is Second Cousin Tommy going to be treated like all the other (alleged) drug abusing coke heads in the state or will his name buy him time in some posh rehab somewhere after paying a nominal fine (if found guilty)?

I'm betting he walks away free as bird after shedding a few crocodile tears and claiming to have returned to the loving and forgiving arms of Jesus (if found guilty).


Thor sez: Plu-eeze! A rich, white, old Charleston family name having, politically connected male doing jail time? Girl, have you lost your mind?

No comments: