Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Current Stack O' Books

Am I the only person who reads three-four books at a time?

Barely begun: A Crack In The Edge of The World by Simon Winchester. About the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. I love the nature/science stuff explained to me in an entertaining way.

Almost done: The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. I'm a sucker for a thoughtful intelligent person thinking thoughtful intelligent thoughts. (Especially when he is putting my own poor thoughts into much better words than I ever could.)

A good chunk in to: Spinning Straw Into Gold, What Fairy Tales Reveal About The Tansformations in a Woman's Life by Joan Gould. About...fairy tales.
This looks at the real, original fairy tales, not the 'if-only-I-had-a-man-everything-would-be-perfect' versions made popular by Disney. Looking at the transformations from child to maiden, maiden to matron, matron to crone.

Finished and about to pass on to another: Yiddish with George and Laura by Ellis Weiner and Barbara Davilman. Funny. Infuriating. Funny.

Seen in the bookstore: Reprint of the original 1920 Girl Scout handbook.


Thor sez: Books, schmooks. All I need is a plastic strip and I'm happy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I usually have books all over the house. There is typically:
one in the kitchen- for when I'm stirring something and bored occasionally I have one on audio

another on the nightstand

several in the car

one or more in the restroom

and one special one tucked away in a bookshelf to stumble upon later.

Unfortunately I am currently completely out of new words and the library is closed and I don't feel like braving the crowds.

Kelly Love said...

I do the same thing - one in the shoulder bag, one in the sitting room, one in my office, and one on my nightstand. I love hearing what other people are reading too. My current list: Lizzie Borden by Elizabeth Engstrom (I was born in Fall River near where the Bordens lived, so it's an ongoing obsession), All the Fishes Come Home to Roost: An American Misfit in India by Rachel Manija Brown (memoir), Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (a re-read), and Nice Big American Baby by Judy Budnitz. I definitely want to get my hands on that Obama book.

JanetLee said...

Yeah! Now I don't feel like a weirdo.

Okay, K-Lo, is the Nice Big American Baby one a book of short stories? And the girl has been "pregnant" for a bit over a year by the end? I couldn't finish it because my nurse-self was screaming at me about the impossibilities, nevermind how much I told Miss Nursie that it was symbolic.