Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Twosday!

Two things confusing me:

1. I read an article on CNN about how Newt Gingrich says that President Obama's video being sent to solicit donations for his re-election campaign is "extortion". This is confusing: is Newt just flinging elephant shit because that's all he's got or is he so used to billionaires bankrolling him that he has forgotten all us little people who only have $10, $20, $50 to give to the campaign of our choice?

2. Trying to explain, to Jason, the Southern girls' relationship with the movie (and book) Gone With the Wind. Yes, it is horribly revisionist in its portrayal of slavery. That's a given. You just have to know that. But it's Scarlett that is endlessly fascinating. She's the absolute feminist (more in the book than the movie, starting her own business), but some point out, she used marriage to achieve her ends, yes, I point out, but in those times, it was often the only way to obtain the legal authority to do things. But on the other hand, she is so freaking ass stupid about men, ruining her life chasing after the impossible. I ended up telling him it was sort of like The Godfather for girls. Full of stereotypes and strengths and weaknesses. But GWTW has Clark Gable. Yum-O.

Two things I have to do today:

1. Drive my mom downtown for a doctors appointment.

2. Drive myself to a doctors appointment this afternoon. It'll tell you a little about how much fun arthritic knees are if you could see how happy I was to get an appointment to have two large needles jammed under my kneecaps.

The two reasons you keep coming back:

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Perfect analogy: GWTW=Godfather for Women

Love it!