Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Best of America

I was on call last night and caught this awesome documentary on PBS called "The Way We Get By".

It is about a group of people in Bangor, Maine who have, since the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, been sending off troops and greeting home coming troops at all hours of the the day and night at the Bangor Airport.

So far, these mostly elderly, mostly veteran citizens have thanked something like 900,000 soldiers.

It says so much about the generation they belong too. None of them simply slapped a yellow ribbon on their car and went about life as usual. They are sacrificing large chunks of their lives to simply be there, in person, with a smile, a handshake and a face to face thank you to our soldiers.

I cried my eyes out.

Watch it if you can.

Loki sez: I cried when the doggie had to go to the Rainbow Bridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched that, too! Moving, impressive, kept thinking, "When will we ever learn?" It is beautiful!