Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Morning Moment

When the man-child was a wee young lad, nothing would annoy him more than when I would tell him, or in some cases, actually sing to him, "you can't always get what you want".

Never mind my off key murderation of the tune, I think this little melody from across the pond should be America's "guest anthem" for a while.

Last night on the news, I watched a story about a woman who was going to lose her home to foreclosure. She was very earnest and explained how she had provided the mortgage company will all her financial information and they had told her that she could have x-amount on a house.

So she spent x-amount on a house. Funny thing was, her monthly payment was $500 more than her total take home pay.

But she thought she would make up the difference by having someone move in with her.

Okay, I know I suck at math and I'm no financial whiz kid, but here's my take on it. If your monthly mortgage payment alone is more than your income, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

Yes, the bank failed this woman by giving her a loan that they knew she couldn't afford. But she signed the papers on something she knew she wouldn't be able to pay. Send her to bankruptcy, send the bank to out of business land.

Here's a good "old fashioned" American value we need to restore: Your first house cannot be a mansion. You buy small and modest, earn equity over several years, buy a slightly larger house, earn more equity over several years.....see how it works?

Thor sez: I always get what I want, just meow like this for six hours.

No comments: