Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Trippy Tuesday

I'm having a weird day. I renewed my driver's license by mail and when I received the new one, it had the wrong signature on it. And since I would have to present that license to airport security, I really didn't want to end up in a glass cage waiting on a female officer to give me a full body pat-down before I ended up in the suspected terrorist interrogation room trying to explain that my former name is Italian, not Middle Eastern. (Really, they detained my mom in the San Francisco airport because she didn't want to walk barefoot across their nasty floor and just ASKED if she had to take her shoes off, because well, my 70+ mom just looks that dangerous, I guess.)

But as usual, I digress. I took erroneous license and a book to the Leeds Avenue DMV this morning. But before I could walk from the counter where you tell the person what you need to the counter where you fill out the paperwork person A gives you, they called my number. I had to speed fill out the paper work. Then I had really not read more than three words in my book when the correct license was done.

That is pretty scary.

And for some reason, I keep thinking about the man who felt the need to come up from the street to knock on my door to inform me that I was pretty much doomed to hell because of the bumper sticker on the back window of my truck. He just wanted to make sure that I understood that his religion was the only legitimate religion and that I and the masses that I mislead with my notion of peace were all going to burn in hell and that it wasn't our place to make peace, but to tell others that they are all wrong and are going to go to hell unless we believe in his religion.

I was polite to him. A bit snarky and I told him like a thousand lies, but I was polite.

But it made me extremely angry.

And now every time I see my bumper sticker, I still get a little mad.

And that makes me mad because I like the bumper sticker. Maybe I should get a bigger one.

I'm also contemplating an experiment. I want to get an "Obama 08" sign for my yard and document what happens. Seriously. One street over, people put up a flagpole and started flying the Confederate flag when a black family moved in next door.

But it is all just a reaction to a situation that happens every year that I can't do anything about and it infuriates me every year that I can't do anything about it.

Blech. Kitten picture time:


Thor sez: Just adore me and all will be well.

No comments: