Monday, July 17, 2006

Several months ago, a couple co-workers and I were discussing the sad situations into which we sometimes send the little ones.

I made a comment along the lines of, "According to some Buddists, the soul actually chooses which life it will enter so that it may learn the lessons it will need to move closer to perfection and Nirvana."

One co-worker was taken aback and asked, "Why would any soul choose to live in the ways that some people live?"

My short answer was a shrug. I'm not a Buddist. It's just something I read somewhere that actually managed stick in my brain.

My medium answer was, "I'm sure the soul knows what it's doing."

My long answer was, "Why wouldn't it? You don't learn hard lessons about yourself and others and life on this big blue ball while living the easy life."

That would seem to be a given. But her reply sort of stayed with me, making me think, sending my little overactive imagination awhirl.

If it were true, if your soul really did choose this life to learn a lesson, or lessons, what would it be?

I look at my life and I think my lesson was to learn how difficult it can be to come from behind and learn to stand on your own. How to be completely at peace with, and come to treasure above all else, my independence.

And then learn to open up and let someone in there with me, to walk beside me. To truly share.

No comments: