Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tuesday Time Wasting

The other day, I was on my neighborhood walk when I passed by a house at the end of the street. There were several people in the yard. I was just shuffling by when the one of the gentleman called out good morning to me. So I said good morning in return and gave that I-know-I'm-all-sweaty-and-gross-but-howdy smile.

Then he said it. It. That phrase that makes me want to smack people upside their heads.

"I ain't got time for that, do a mile for me, will ya?"

Ain't got time.

"Oh, I don't have time to waste on the computer."

"Oh, I don't have time to put pictures in an album like that."

"I don't have time to read books."

It annoys the shit out of me. It is such a rude, snide little put down. Never has the phrase been used in a I wish I could tone, always that superior I have better things to do tone.

I know I've ranted about this before but really. Just don't say anything. When you are talking about the latest showing of American Idol, I don't puff up and say I don't have time to watch all that. When you are drooling over Team Edward or Team Jacob, I don't tell you I don't have time for that.

How you spend your time in your leisure activities is none of my business. Nor do I judge you on how you spend it. You watch TV, I blog. I'm sure the same amount of time is "wasted" in our pursuits.

Stop with the judging.

Loki sez: I don't have time for people who don't have time for kittens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I became a single mom when my daughter was ten years old. I was blessed with a full time job and insurance.......not great pay but we got by.......We paid her way thru college by each of us working a couple of jobs at a time.......17 years later I got remarried and was able to quit work......we have been married for 14 years now......I cannot believe
How many seemingly otherwise intelligent people say
To me "what do you do all day"?.......well the first 5 years I got to spend my days with our grandchildren while their mom taught special needs children.......I wrote a book I volunteer.....I help elderly parents.......I read.....I walk.....I sit in the sun
And I DO NOT feel guilty........not that it is any of their business....most of the time I just say that my days are
Very full.......thanks for listening,,..God Bless, Pam, South Bend

Sharon said...

Honestly, if you lived in NY and were walking by a bunch of strange men, you'd hear a LOT worse stuff coming out of their mouths.

And they should all mind their own business, for sure.

JanetLee said...

Anon - Exactly. We all like different things so just because someone spends their time doing something else that what you would do, there is no reason for the dismissive "I don't have time for.."

Sharon - I would rather be cat called, at least it would be (I hope) a positive judgment, not a snide little dig.