Saturday, October 25, 2008

Esmeralda and the Flood

When I woke up this morning, I had a strange remnant of a memory of Jason telling me that the back yard was flooded up to the porch.

Surely it was a dream, brought on by my noticing the creek was up in the neighbor's yard last night along with the flash flood warning I'd seen scroll across the bottom of the TV screen.

But no, when I peeked out the bathroom window, I was greeted with this scene:


Esmeralda the Third was very grumpy as she spent the morning repairing her web:


Loki sez: Something looks different today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very impressive.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know you flooded where you are! Is that normal for high rain? Or something else going on? Reminds me of the intersection at the end of Oak Forest Drive - always wondered why those people lived there and then grew up and found out people live where they can afford to and it's up to the codes, regulations, etc. to be sure they won't be wiped out. But, now we have seen what the unregulated 'free market' has wrought on the financial world, why would we expect any better for living environments?

Margo said...

Holy cow!!

Loki's cute. I love it when they get that look!

JanetLee said...

Anon - no it isn't normal, but my property borders on Church Creek, which runs off the Ashley River, so it is possible for flooding. I've had water up to the back fence line before, but nothing on this scale. But then, I don't recall having about six inches of rain in less than 24 hours before. The neighbors said it didn't flood this bad during Hurricane Hugo.

The area you remember has been fixed, more or less, by a huge drainage pond and improved drainage pipes.

Anonymous said...

I second Joan - Wow! That's alot of water. We got eight inches up in the north end of Mt Pleasant - it reminded me of the rain during Gaston.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That spider is HUGE! I do not think we have spiders that "hu-mun-gus" in AZ. Maybe scorpions but I think that spider is crazy lookin.

Marcheline said...

I thought I was horrified by the water... until I saw the spider.

I know, I know - garden spiders are great. I'm just glad they're OUTSIDE.

- M