Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My letters to my two Senators, now that the House of Representatives has passed the shameful CR bill that almost exclusively attacks poor women and children and will put many, many more Americans out of work:

I am writing the wake of the House of Representatives passage of their Continuing Resolutions Bill outlining their proposed budget cuts. I am concerned about two areas selected for cuts. $758 million from the WIC (women, infants and children) program and the $327 million from Family Planning.

I am a registered nurse and work as a neonatal nurse. Women and children are my business.

First off, let me say that I know that "tough decisions" must be made regarding the budget. However, to make those decisions on the backs of those who have the least resources seems punitive and cruel coming weeks after the wealthiest of Americans were saved from paying more taxes. They have resources.

They do not depend on the public family planning clinic for a pap smear or a mammogram or birth control. They do not depend on the clinic for treatment of STD's. And these clinics do not provide abortions.

As for WIC, I find it more than embarrassing that entry level firefighters, police officers, teachers and our military service men and women have incomes to quality their families for WIC services.

So, the House of Representatives of the United States of America is saying to our fine military families, "You can die for us, but we won't help buy your children a gallon of milk or a jar of peanut butter?"

That, sir, is not the America that my father, a career Air Force man, taught me to love and respect. Please work to ensure that these programs, so vital in such a poor state as South Carolina do not go unfunded.


Just click and type. Only took me about 15 minutes to send one to each of my Senators.

Please, people, I'm serious. If our representatives get a few emails, they ignore them because they owe the special interests groups more than they owe us. But if they start to get thousands of emails from the people who actually walk into the voting booths and push the buttons, they HAVE to start paying attention.

No comments: