(or why I should edit more)
Not that I retract anything I posted yesterday, but that I just didn't emphasize something.
Yes, I came out of an financially impoverished background. Yes, I was a member of the working poor for a long time. Yes I made the climb up to at least the lower rungs of middle class.
And no, I don't think that I did anything that most people like me couldn't do. You just have to want to and have to do it.
However. I had several things "going" for me.
1. I had no mental health issues
2. I had no drug/alcohol dependence issues.
3. I had not been physically abused or neglected or malnourished in the critical brain development stage of birth to 24 months.
4. I had a high school education to start with.
5. I could read on a college level before I reached high school.
Some people don't start with all those skills. They need extra help.
Thor sez: Like Loki? Needs extra help, right?