Monday, March 14, 2011

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

Much of my life was spent under the nurture of my no nonsense, practical and logical German descendant family.

That's why too much discussion drives me crazy. Problem? Find most logical solution. Apply solution. Move on.

But I like to think it's that wild unknown streak of Irish in me that causes things to make me, (uh not crazy, what's a polite term for ranting like lunatic?) passionate, rather than remaining stoic like that other side of the DNA coin.

One of my favorite stories is about this lady:

That is my great grandmother Mary Elizabeth Tully Radigan, who left her home in Dry Mills, Mayo County, Ireland in 1894 at age 18, bound for New York and America, all alone except for her pet canary. She had seven children, including a set of twins, and was widowed young. She lived until age 80. Doesn't look like I'd get up to too many shenanigans around her!

(This is why I'm trying to find a way to get the boyz across the pond so I can do some travel nursing in the UK, it's in my DNA to bring the animals!)

I wish I had a picture of her in her younger years.

Thor sez: Mmmmm....canary.

No comments: