Friday, September 26, 2008

My New Theme Song

And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round.

That's how I feel about almost every thing. Is it because I'm getting older and am starting to see history repeating itself?

Really. For the last ten years or so, companies have switched their allegiance to the stockholders. And they weren't completely wrong. You do need to make a profit for them so they will continue to invest in your company.

But somewhere along the way, it seems they forgot that they needed to show allegiance to their employees who are doing the grunt work of making those profits.

And those at the top got greedy. And it became too easy to cut corners to make profits. Ship those jobs overseas. Down size. Right size. Stifle wages. Decrease benefits. Fire people just to strike fear into the hearts of others.

I've said before that I'm no financial genius. There is so much propaganda and pandering and posturing going on that I don't know if this bail out is a good thing that will save our economy or another way of saving the wealth of a few at the top of the money chain.

I'm very angry about some suggestions I've heard.

When I got pre-qualified for my mortgage, they approved me for a sum so outrageous that I actually laughed at the loan lady. "The payment on that would be my entire take home pay," I told her. She just shrugged.

So I did the right thing. I found a house that I could comfortably afford to pay principle, interest, PMI, insurance, flood insurance, etc.

I paid my mortgage on time. I kept an eye on interest rates and when they began to climb, I refinanced my ARM to a fixed at a good rate.

And I'M NOT GOOD AT THIS STUFF!

That was basic stuff I learned in Home Ec in high school and Economics 100 at Trident Technical College.

So people who were foolish, people who made bad choices. They get interest reductions? They possibly get principle reductions?

And I get a bigger tax bill?

For being responsible?

I'd like a reduction. Just a bit. Maybe 50K or so?

A couple of pennies in comparison to what the CEO's who ran our economy into the ground make.

Loki sez: It's not fair!

No comments: