Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Can We Talk?

About Harry Potter yet? Has everyone on the planet who is going to read it, read it by now?


Loki sez: I am infinitely more interesting than that boy, but scroll down if you must.


Thor sez: BEWARE! Spoilers below!

Stop reading here if you don't want to know anything.

When Jason was finished and handed the book to me, all he would say was that he was satisfied with the ending. I was also. I thought it was very well done, excellent pacing and I felt, like many have said before me, as if I'd been on a run away roller coaster ride.

I think JK Rowling finished off the series perfectly.

Going into it, I had a couple of theories. One was correct, a few were close.

First, I always had faith that Snape was a good guy. I wasn't really sure why, as he lay dieing, he told Harry to look at him. Later we learned Snape had been in love with Lily since they were children and as we all know, Harry had Lily's eyes. That gave me a wee lump in my throat.

Second, I thought Draco was going to step up and do something heroic for the good guy's side. There is a vast difference between being a school yard bully and actually embracing evil and watching people be murdered. I thought he'd defy his father and reject the dark side.

I didn't like, however, his family's whimpering do-nothing collapse. Although you gotta give Momma Malfoy credit for saving Harry near the end.

Third, I knew Neville was going to step up and do something great. I wasn't sure what, perhaps give his life for Harry's. But I was very proud of him, he did step up and made it possible for Harry to do what he had to do.

I was very upset about Dobby though. More than any of the humans that died. I don't know why, his character irritated me most of the time.

That's it.

If you didn't mean to read this and I've ruined your Deathly Hallows experience, well tough toe nails, I warned you like three times!

3 comments:

jaz said...

The best part was when Mrs. Weasley went after Bellatrix Lastrange...

Sunnie (Kaytee) said...

Oh I totally agree with Jaz! Especially when she called Bellatrix a bitch! LOL
I picked up my copy Saturady morning around ten, forced myself to do my usual Saturday errands and finally sat down to read around 2pm. In between taking care of four kids, meals and whatnot, I finished around 11Pm that night.
While reading it, I told Jimmy, "I am so gonna cry when this movie comes out." (Not saying much since I cry at most movies that have a sad part. LOL)
I also was very pleased with the ending. I knew Ron and Hermione would end up together, as well as Harry and Ginny. I also knew that something was between Snape and Dumbledore and that was why Snape killed him.
Like you, JanetLee, I was glad Draco's mother lied. Her main concern was for Draco and not Voldemort defeating Harry. I always knew Neville...and all the other Dumbledore Army members would step up. Though I did cry when Fred, Lupin and Tonks died.
I cried more about Dobby. (I sound like an emotional wreck here, huh? LOL)
I thought it was fitting that in all of Harry's fighting, he never once used a death curse. I loved that in the end it was basically Voldemort that killed himself, without meaning to.
After having read the entire series, I feel sad. Knowing it's all over.

Marcheline said...

Dude - did you swing by my blog and check out the pics from the Harry Potter book release party?

Well, DID YOU???? 8-D

I loved the book, and yes, I was all for Snape being a good guy (or at least worthy of Dumbledore's trust).

As far as weeping goes, I pretty much cried my way through the entire thing. Whenever Dumbledore was discussed, I cried. When Harry and Hermione finally found the graves of Lily and James, weep city. When Dobby was buried - sob central. I even boo-hooed when I read that Harry's son was named Albus Severus. Geez! JK Rowling really got me good on this one.

My husband is currently reading it, and I can't wait until he finishes SO I CAN READ IT AGAIN.

In the meantime, I'm making do with www.cosforums.com and The Leaky Cauldron, yapping with other fans about what they liked, didn't like, and just plain old didn't understand. Like why did Fred Weasley have to die? And Tonks and Lupin? For the love of all that's sacred, WHY?!?!?!?!

OK, I need a hanky.

- M